From the CDC: how to remove mold

Tips from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) on how to get rid of mold and mildew permanently.

Protect- Make sure to wear personal protective equipment to protect your eyes, nose, mouth and skin when cleaning up mold.

Toss- Throw away or move outside anything affected by mold that can’t be cleaned and dried completely within the next 24 to 48 hours.

Circulate- Use fans and dehumidifiers to remove excess moisture from the room. Leave the fans and dehumidifiers on as long as possible.

Scrub- Scrub affected surfaces with water and a detergent. Remove all visible mold. Dry the surfaces soon after and watch for reappearances.

Remove- Remove mold, don’t cover it. Painting or caulking over mold will not prevent it from growing or reappearing. Fix the underlying issues.

Air it out- Open as many doors and windows as possible when cleaning to prevent inhalation. Leave the doors and windows open to promote air flow.

Don’t mix- When using cleaning products, do not mix different products together. Do not mix bleach and ammonia, as it can produce toxic vapors.

Dry it out- Dry your residency and everything in it as quickly as possible, within 24 to 48 hours. Fans and dehumidifiers can help.

Mickella Rast